Saturday, 4 September 2010

Officially listed!!

Hiya everyone. Sorry I've not posted in a bit, loads of stuff has happened since my last entry. Yet not much of it I feel is worth posting about or I just don't know how to put it into words. So this is just a quick update.


I got the letter through this morning to say I'm officially on the active list. Which means from now on I could get the call at any time - day or night. I get quite frustrated when people ask about it and they always say 'so when are you getting your transplant?'. And quite often even if I try to explain it best I can, some just don't understand. So I'll have a go at putting it as simply as possible :) And let me know if there's anything you still don't get.
What happens is that when your on the list, it's not about 'first-come-first-serve', it all depends on what organs become available and whoever is a match (blood type, tissue type and even height) and needs them most at that time. No one knows when they'll get their transplant (weather its lung, kidney, heart, liver etc) because it all depends on who dies unfortunately. So when will I get my transplant? I don't have a clue. And I wont know until they have the lungs available, which is when I'll get a call and will be rushed down to Newcastle by ambulance or helicopter (woohoo!). It could be tomorrow, it could be 2 years from now.
Also I'll probably have a few false alarms where I'll get called down to Newcastle and find out that the lungs are unsuitable for transplantation or it cant go ahead for various other reasons like me being too unwell or whatnot.


BRING IT ON!!! 




Last couple of weeks have been pretty crazy. I'm now living the single life now :P so out and about with mates more often and loads of time to do whatever I want really. Started attending the gym at the hospital for some exercise with the physio to help keep my muscles alive and me as fit as possible for when I get these new lungs!


Not really sure what else to tell you all. Everything's pretty good the now actually so the stress spots are finally leaving (which makes me less stressed naturally!)


I'll try keep this better updated and make it a bit more interesting with some photos and stuff :)
Much love! x

5 comments (+add yours?)

Ruth Jay said...

wooo!! glad to hear that you're finally listed, I'll have my fingers crossed at all times for the call that will change it all :D

woo! xx

Stuart Duffy said...

I have a balloon with your name on it! You can blow it up after the transplant.
It's a cruel system, I can't think of another way without societies morality being tested. It certainly changes my views on morality.

You are strong in character and spirit whilst at the same time generous and inviting, a special personality, the world needs more of them if it is to survive itself.
Your blog lets people see a side of you it's hard to see normally and that's a good thing!

I hope to hear a helicopter screaming overhead soon.

x
Stu

Amanda Howie said...

My friend Stuart Duffy posted this blog on Facebook to read, and I decided to do so. I know we don't know each other, but I just wanted to say that this is an inspiring and wonderful blog, and you sound like such a wonderful, beautiful person. I wish you the best in the future :)
Amanda Howie. x

Tori said...

Woohoo!!! xx

auntie morag HK said...

I also has her bag packed ready to go! . as soon as i get the call to say you have had the "call" and its all ok & full steam ahead , im on the next flight out of HK to london..i'll be there when you wake up holding your mums hand !
Whats this i read that your single ???? i liked Dean!!! he kept Orin amused for hours ! oh well i will look forward to meeting the next one ( hope he's just as good at keeping 6 year old boys amused ) . have fun ! auntie morag xx

Post a Comment